Friday, 17 January 2014

What faction are you? The Divergent review

Hi guys! As I said in my latest favourites post, I really enjoyed the book "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. I also mentioned that I would do a review of the book so let's do this!
First off, I have been having some weird fascination with the post apocalyptic world. I think this started when I read "Warm Bodies" and I have continued on this theme.
 If you don't know "Divergent" occurs in the ruins of Chicago and the people of this new society have pulled together and formed 5 factions. The five factions each have fundamental ideas they aspire towards and the people within the faction must prove there loyalty to that faction, otherwise you become factionless. The story follows a 16 year old girl named Tris as she makes the decision of a life time that can lead her in two ways. One way she can stay with her family but know she does not fit in or she can leave her family and be shunned. Beatrice is from  the faction of selflessness, Abnegation. We learn that she struggles with the rules of Abnegation no matter how much she loves the principals. She has always looked up to the Dauntless, the brave faction, and now that the choosing ceremony which happens every year for 16 year olds, she now how has to make the choice.
I really liked the idea behind this. I found it interesting, because it makes you question what you value and what you as a person would identify with. It questions whether the best decision is always to take the safe choices and not take risks or do take the risk where you could possibly lose everything. I thought that was an interesting thing Roth brought up. I also like how Beatrice is following the trend of strong female protagonists, taking a very much similar role of Katnis Everdeen from the "Hunger Games". I am a huge fan of strong female leads and I am really living this trend of strong independent women. It shows girls that sometimes getting your hands dirty lands  you Prince Charming as well.
I don't want to give a lot of the plot away just in case some of you haven't read it, but the book progresses really well and I think it gets more complex and interesting to the point where you cannot put it down. 
I was so enthralled with the book that I went and bought the second one, however that one is questionable for me so far so we will see. Over all I really like the book. My one criticism, one that I have noticed in many novels recently, is that there are a lot of similarities between story lines and characteristics of characters from other novels. Anyways I really enjoyed the novel and I really think you should check it out!

Love you guys! As always if you have any ideas for what I should do next just drop me a line on the Odd and Wondrous Facebook page or on my google+ profile or my twitter which is @kcoolkat24. I will talk to you later! Bye!
Ps. I took a quiz to see what faction I would be in and I would be Dauntless which is surprising I think! What do you think I would be? ;)

No comments: